Tuesday, 18 November 2008

A Day of Sharing Words


While popping into the lovely Red Velvet blog today Judy posted about the challenge that LK Ludwig has on her blog. It goes like this:


The idea: We have words that touch us, move into our hearts and resonate, creating a feeling, taking us some place- past, present, future- perhaps some place we have never been and may never go, but for whatever reasons, the words pulse in our blood. Meeting new words, new poets, new poems, new ways for my heart to beat, is an intruiging concept. Want to go on this adventure with me? It will be easy to travel along.Many of us already do this sharing; this idea is just to help us find each other and hear the words we have to share.

The Date: Wednesday, November 19.

The Plan: on your blog, post a poem that moves inside you, touches you, reaches you. (quotes and song lyrics welcome). Include the author (or composer or musician) and source (book, album)- perhaps also the amazon link if there is one. no explanation required, no other revelation necessary.One last thing- Perhaps add an image. a photo. a video. a painting. a collage., if you would.Come here to this post. Add a comment with your link.I'll create a typepad page with the links, so others can hear the rhythm of the words, see the image and share in the experience.

The Request: If you are intrigued enough, post on your blog about this Day of Sharing Words- encourage your friends to post. Who couldn't use a few new poems in their treasury or new songs in their hearts?


So here are my shared words. I have planned a book around this for my beautiful daughter and hope to finish (start) it in the near future.


Did I tell you?

Now that you are grown,I look back and ask myself-Did I tell you all that I meant to tell you, all that I felt was important?Did I tell you or was it lost in the shuffle of our Everyday lives.The busy full days when we taught and didn’t know it.What did I teach? Was it strong? Was it good?Will it root you in something real that will allow you to grow with a firm and sound foundation?Did I tell you…

Did I tell you to love?Not with a fair-weather love, but with a love that accepts and cherishes unconditionally.Love not with a quick and passing love, but with a love that is a quiet peach within your heart.

Did I tell you to be thoughtful?Not to be a martyr or a doormat to be trod upon, but to be aware of other people and their needs.To meet others with awareness and within your own framework,Be able to meet them halfway and on occasion, go the other half joyfully.


Did I tell you to be courteous?Not to display empty manners with no meaning but to live the courtesy born of caring.And to express this caring through the small formalities and customs born of the years.Did I tell you to be bold?To be not afraid of the unknown, but to live life to the fullest, and meet each new experience with joy and anticipation.And did I tell you to be cautious?To temper your daring and sense of adventure with good judgment and consideration.


Did I tell you to serve other people if only in a small way?There is growth and satisfaction in being part of something larger than yourself and your life will be richer for knowing this.

Did I tell you to find a part of nature that speaks to you?Then know it intimately and well. For some it is a mountain peak, for some a windswept beach.Find your own and in it find your restoration.


Did I tell you to maintain a sense of the past?To recall and uphold all that is best and meaningful in our country and in our society.But never be afraid to speak out when you don’t believe or where there is room for improvement.Work for what you believe, but work in a positive way, with a structure of order and reason.Remember your ancestors; learn about them, so you can know of where you came.


Did I tell you to be creative?To explore the seed within you.Find your creative spirit and let it grow.


Did I tell you to laugh to dance to sing?There is a lot in life that is hard, but take it as is comes and find the good…And make time to dance.
And did I tell you always to respect yourself?Don't compromise your morals- do what you know to be right and good, regardless of what others may do.


Did I tell you these things as we went along the way?If I did, I am humbly grateful.If I did not, then choose for yourself.If it has meaning to you, accept it and make it your own.If it does not, discard it.Your life is yours to build as you choose.


And did I tell you…I hope it will be a good life.Now that you are grown,I look back and ask myself-Your life is yours to build as you choose.And did I tell you…I hope it will be a good life.

Elizabeth Knapp

11 comments:

Judy said...

So wonderful Carrie and the artwork is gorgeous - loved the frayed bits.
LK ludwig is actually the host so you need to post a comment on her blog with the link to yours - she is putting it together so i cant take the credit - thanks for joining in though
xo

* mY fRiEnDs cALL mE Rella * said...

This is a beautiful choice....as I read it I thought of my own daughter and all that I so want for her now an adult. Thank you for sharing.

I think of you so often when I look upon the beautiful arch you made. Our TWO arches. :)

xo Love and Light Rella

joanne wardle said...

wonderful words. I agree with them

Paula said...

Stunning art Carrie & very moving & powerful words.

Tina said...

Thank you for posting this piece. I haven't seen it before and it's beautiful.

Kaz said...

stunning art, and i was almost crying at the words....i'm a sap eh....lol
i feel a lot of that with my kids, you worded all of that perfectly carrie. x

Elisa said...

That's so beautiful. I mean, both the art and the words. Loved it!

eva birdthistle said...

Oh wow! Stunning girl! *sniff*

Scrappelise said...

The word I know to use now is only this; Beautiful!

Lainey said...

It's a wonderful piece Carrie - have bookmarked it for my girls someday. Loved your art piece too

XX

BloomingPink said...

I love your Did I Tell You poem.

It's very moving.